A session delivered by Dr Ellen Fallows along with Dr Rupa Joshi and Helen Longstaff.
Dr Ellen Fallows is a GP with a portfolio career and interest in Type-2 diabetes remission and obesity management through behaviour change and person-centered care. She was a GP partner in Bicester for 10 years where she set up face to face group clinics. She now practices at Brackley Medical Centre where she is setting up video group clinics having already delivered groups for Type-2 diabetes remission locally. She is also working with a team delivering video group low calorie diet replacement as part of the NHS Type-2 Diabetes remission pilots and with the British Society of Lifestyle Medicine as their learning academy lead.
Ellen is the NHS England Clinical Lead, Virtual Group Consultations, Thames Valley Health Education England GP Fellow, RCGP Person Centred Care Lead, South East, Trustee and Learning Academy Director, British Society of Lifestyle Medicine
Dr Rupa Joshi has been a front-line GP for 19 years and Managing Partner for 5 years and is Co-Clinical Director for Wokingham North Primary Care Network, Workforce lead for Berkshire West, Faculty GP for the ‘Time for Care’ Programme for NHSE/I and Co-Chair of the South East Region for NHS Confederation PCN Networks.
Dr Joshi has been delivering face to face Group Consultations since 2018 and now Virtual Group Consultations throughout the pandemic to ensure patients are able to consult with trusted colleagues. She has also rolled out webinars and VGCs for her PCN working with a Multidisciplinary team.
Dr Joshi is also a Certified Lifestyle Medicine Physician BSLM/ IBLM and Accredited Coach ILM-5.
Learning Objectives for this session:
- Be able to describe the group consultation process to patients and staff in primary care
- Be able to state the session flow of a group consultation
- Be able to list the roles required to set-up group consultations
- Describe the key issues with working in groups in a virtual space (ID, consent, confidentiality, cybersecurity)
- Be aware of the free resources to support delivery of video group clinics
- Describe the areas where group consultations can be used to deliver care, in particular their use in chronic disease annual reviews and to address the back-log in this care as a result of covid-19
- List the benefits of group consultations for patients and staff in particular addressing issues such as person-centred care, supported self-care, social isolation, integration of the additional roles in primary care
- Explore the risks, barriers to implementation and challenges around group consultations delivered both virtually and face to face. Consider these in the context of participants own work-load and their practice set-up.
- Explore ways to over-come barriers to implementation and how to engage local stake-holders to support projects to deliver group consultations in practice (including learning about how to make a business case for group consultations)
- Understand the impact of group consultations on patients (including hearing a patient testimonial)
Watch these clips on what virtual group consultations are all about: https://vimeo.com/483179581
Hear from a GP who has delivered face to face group consultations: https://youtu.be/He36c4BD4Hw
Post Session Resources
Free e-learning and tool-kit:
You need to register with E-learning for Health. Once registered, follow this link to free e-learning:
You need to log on Future NHS:
Once you are, follow this link to the VGC Hub:
Video of VGC process (accompanies toolkit; part of e-learning)
If you want a refresher about the process, watch this video:
The Community Cure: Transforming Health Outcomes Together by James Maskell, 2019, Lion crest publishing
How to facilitate lifestyle change. Applying group education in healthcare. Amanda Avery, Kirsten Whitehead and Vanessa Halliday, 2016, Wiley-Blackwell
The ABCs of Group Visits. An Implementation Manual for your Practice. Edward B Noffsinger, 2013, Springer
Running Group Visits in your practice, Edward Noffsinger, Springer
Case studies: https://www.redmoorhealth.co.uk/video-group-clinics/
International experience: https://bslm.org.uk/vgc/
ellen’s VGC quick guide
BOB fellowship CPD 27th April